Skip to main content

The Curious Case of Gunnar

    The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty brings upon the topic of racial identity, which is something we haven’t read before in this course. As we have learned, Gunnar’s upbringing is non-traditional compared to other characters such as Bigger or Janie. He grew up in Santa Monica, a place where he describes as being the only African American kid in school. Despite standing out, he still feels comfortable and is able to assimilate to his environment.
    With the conclusion of chapter 2, there’s a sense that Gunnar knew his identity thanks to David Schoenfield who taught him, “somehow through being with you I learned I was black and that being black meant something…” (Beatty 40). Yet, after Gunnar’s mom decided to move to another area, where Gunnar describes as being in the “hood”. Although Gunnar’s appearance is similar to the people around him, he is actually very out of place. He dresses differently and speaks differently. For example, he doesn’t talk in slang or wear more worn out clothing compared to a person on the street. Furthermore, Gunnar initially had trouble making friends. As we have seen, he definitely tried his best to make friends, even by living in a tent by a department store waiting for people to come by. Gunnar would eventually assimilate to this new environment while becoming a basketball phenom in the process.
    In some way, I feel like I can relate to Gunnar. Much like Gunnar, I had a change of environment as my family immigrated to America when I was 8 years old. I definitely went through the same culture shock as Gunnar. I dressed differently and kept rewearing the same clothes for weeks. I didn’t speak the language and could not understand what anyone at school was saying. I couldn’t make friends even with my best effort.

For this particular book, I found many things I could relate to Gunnar with. In what ways do you guys relate to Gunnar? 

Comments

  1. Gunnar sort of does try to "make friends" with the Gun Totin' Hooligans when he sees them in Montgomery Ward, testing out crossbows (and it's funny that he later does end up becoming part of the gang, thanks to Psycho Loco being impressed with his singing), but he retreats to the department store sporting-goods section in order to avoid people, to hide away with his books and take a "transcendental" approach to "finding himself"--like Henry David Thoreau at Walden. It's not really a strategy to make friends--it's a way to try and avoid what seem like automatic beat-downs every time he talks to someone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many of Gunnar's actions are relatable, even for those who weren't taken from their home and moved to a new environment. I especially connected with Gunnar hiding out in the library to avoid the basketball players because I too have found myself hiding in strategic locations with the purpose of trying to avoid certain people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could understand Gunnar's view on how some people treat sports as an extension of their own life even if they have no connection to it besides watching the game. Obviously, I've never played a sport on as big a stage as Gunnar, but I have still encountered people who treat sports teams as if they are a part of them. I fully agree with Gunnar that this is annoying, although he says it's more than just annoying, but I also felt like this treatment of sports was more or less harmless up until reading this novel. I didn't ever look at it from the point of view of someone on a professional sports team, so I didn't think about the immense amounts of stress such a thing could cause. In addition to stress, I can only imagine the anger it would cause me being yelled at by fans for missing a free-throw or block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Gunnar is very relatable to a lot of us, like you have described. I think a lot of the actions and feelings that Gunnar feels also feels similar to me, all be it in a lesser degree. The change of environment really makes people feel vulnerable. Its hard to be normal or fit in after going through such a culture shock like Gunnar does. I think Beatty did a great job of bringing absurdity to the book while making it feel really real and connecting with a broad audience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Relationship Between Denver and Sethe

    Throughout the reading of Beloved , I have noticed a trend in the relationship between Sethe and Denver. Denver always seems slightly tentative towards Sethe and we know why. She is scared that her mother might kill her just like she did with Beloved. For instance, on page 206 (according to my version of the book), Denver states, “When she finishes the combing and starts the braiding, I get sleepy. I want to go to sleep but I know If I do I won’t wake up“.   It is disturbing to see the distrust Denver has for her mom, despite no ill intent from Sethe. The animosity between them, however, hasn’t always existed.      There is a point in time where Denver is clueless of Sethe’s past. It’s probable that their relationship might have actually been a normal mother and daughter relationship. The truth comes out after Denver’s incident with the bullies at her school. The effect of the truth impacts Denver so much to the point where she is unable to speak for a few years

Athena's True Intentions

What is Athena’s true intention? We all know that Athena adores Odysseus and Telemachus. She blesses Odysseus during the invasion of Troy and guides Telemachus on his journey. As phrased by Mr. Mitchell, Athena “digs Odysseus.” However, it is not clear why she is helping them after abandoning Odysseus on Calypso’s island for seven years and allowing the suitors to torment Telemachus for most of his life.             One theory I have is that Athena feels remorse for abandoning Odysseus; after all, she is responsible for him. As consolation for Odysseus, Athena decides to free him and helps mold his son into a hero. If Odysseus had made it home in time, he would have been the one teaching Telemachus the ways of a hero, so perhaps Athena wants to develop Telemachus to make up for lost time due to Odysseus’ absence. There also seems to be an urgency for Telemachus’ development which has to do with his father’s arrival to Ithaca. It could be that Athena plans to have Telemachus ready to

The Heroism of Ip Man

Heroes can be anyone from a fictional character like Superman to someone we admire and look up to.  My hero is Ip Man from the 2008 film “Ip Man”.  In the film, Ip Man is one of the best martial artists in Foshan, Guangdong before the start of World War II. After his city is taken over by the Japanese, he is forced to give up his practice of martial arts and work in the mines to support his family. During this time, he witnesses the murder of his friends and the destruction of his city. However, he also becomes a national hero, and gives hope and cultural pride to the Chinese when all seems lost.              When comparing the film to the structure presented in Campell’s  “The Hero’s Journey”, many trends become clear. Ip man is the clear-cut hero in the film. His “call to adventure” happens before the war but he initially refuses it. Only after the war starts does he finally realize the importance of his role as a martial artist and accepts his “call to adventure.” Along the way,